Some Favorite Songs . . . We've got too many to list here


Thursday, March 17, 2011

The beginning of our Jovi

Now that Jovi JUST turned 16 months old it's the perfect time to
recap her birth or maybe a better reason is because little baby #4 is ready come anytime he wants.....

On November 9th I checked into the hospital at 6:45am, being 15 mins. late since Miles needed gas in the car of course- we only live 2 miles from the hospital

I was being induced because my amniotic fluid was low. My Dr. said he wanted to induce me (2 days before I was 38 weeks) even though the non-stress test showed the baby was doing very well, she could possibly benefit more being born.

After all the set up and paperwork things finally got going...
  • At 8:05am the nurse started my pit drip at 1 ml a min. since they knew my labors go quick they wanted to start it lower then normal.
  • At 8:20 my Dr. broke my water I was- 2 cm.
  • 9-something, the nurses turned down the pit. drip to .5 ml per min. they said the contractions were "too strong" and could stress the baby
  • At 10:05 the nurses shut off the pit. they said there was too many contractions to keep the pit on (I wasn't very happy, good strong contractions mean a baby will soon be born, I asked them several times if they would turn the pit on, they said no, especially since I was still having contractions on my own- just not the good ones) my contractions were now a steady 2 mins, apart
  • At 11:05 I was 4 cm
  • At 12pm I was having heavy contractions, my Dr. came back to check on me
  • At 1:15, 5 cm
  • At 1:55, 7 cm
  • At 2:45 I was 9cm, they paged my Dr. who made it right in time. They called the "on call" Dr. into my room, seconds later my Dr. ran in. If it wasn't for the FEAR on the nurses faces telling me not to push until my Dr. arrived Jovi would of been born sooner. Is it ever really nice for them to tell you not to push?
  • 2:54, Jovi was born after about 4 min. of pushing and 3-4 pushes.
Jovi Atha Johnson
6 ibs. 15 oz
19 1/2 inches

This birth was the best for recovery since I had no tearing or stitches but it was also my longest labor, being about 7 hours. I know it would have gone much faster if they left the pit drip on.

Miles and I walked the hall for a few hours to keep things moving. But after having nurses chase me down time after time asking if I could feel the strong contractions (of course I could) and then telling me they would rather if I stayed close we just hung out in the room


Cloth diaper bum.... aka brick bum





right from the start Jovi was getting
used to a mama
that multitasks

First bath with papi- I hate how
the nurses try to take over and just do
everything, at least this is my experience

One of Jovi's first glamour shots.

Miles has a co-worker that tried to dress
up to look like this and took a picture-
strange I know, trying to picture a grown man
copy this picture.
(this picture is the one Miles sent to people at work)
I wish I had the picture.

I think Jovi looks like a dead frog
under the heat lamp
but she was super healthy

brand new




I really really hate being in the hospital. I would rather have a baby in the parking lot then hang out at the hospital for hours and hours. If I felt it was safe I would also rather have my babies at home. I would love to have a water birth but I never want a midwife.

I always try to get released as soon as possible, with Jovi the "on call pediatrician said I had to stay 24 hours after Jovi was born (the longest I have had to stay) so I was stuck. After the hospital we went and got her ears pierced.

  • I could probably think of a million complaints about staying in the hospital, I don't enjoy being waited on one bit.
But my main complaint this time would be after Jovi was born and her sugar levels dropped really low, (they needed to do footprints so I waited for them before nursing her, when I knew she needed to eat). After a nurse tested her sugar she told me I needed to give her a bottle of formula, of course I refused.
The nurse tried to pressure me into feeding her the formula and even told me she would get me a syringe so I wouldn't have to give Jovi a nipple.
I still said NO, I'm not giving her formula I would instead nurse Jovi and then they could test her sugar again.
She called in a "baby nurse" who also told me that I needed to give Jovi the formula because babies whose sugar levels drop so low, almost never go up on there own. Jovi could end up in the ICU with brain damage,
SO she wanted to make sure I was making "an educated decision."
I continued to nurse Jovi and when they tested her again her sugar levels had jumped really high. I will admit I really wanted to say "I told you so," as they both were surprised by the results. One thing I have learned quickly as a mom is to do what I want and what I feel is right no matter who tries to tell me differently.

We are thankful for our sweet Jovi, she is ALWAYS so happy. People have always asked us from the time she was born if she ever cries, she hardly does and she is hardly ever grumpy either. I sometimes wonder if it is possible to have a more happy baby.

Having 2 kids was super easy for me it wasn't much different then 1.
Moving up to 3 kids was harder and more of an adjustment,
I also had a lot of other things going on like daycare.
I'm not nervous about 4, I think I'm ready and even if I wasn't
too bad since our little guy is coming at any time.
Which might be the next post.

1 comment:

Family Sellers said...

I love your hospital story! I think as Pregnant women we need to be more "Educated" in our options to say NO at the hospital. Do they have a class like that? You are an inspiration! Four isn't so bad.... then sometimes its REALLY hard... then sometimes it gets easier again. But it never stops being FUN!